- Ant Control
- Ant Prevention the Best Type of Extermination
Ant Prevention the Best Type of Extermination
May 20, 2016
Ants are some of the worst pests in the home, in minor cases they can be annoying; in extreme cases they can invade your home stealing your food out from under you. No one wants an ant problem. One of the best ways to get rid of ants is to prevent them from ever entering your home in the first place. We’re going to go over a few ways to prevent ants from entering your home.
First, your house needs to be well sealed. Ants are tiny, and can squeeze into most spaces. This means that there are many open doorways right into your home. A quick walk around your house can help you find entry points and seal them:
What to look for:
- Examine the walls of your home for holes.
- Look for any unsealed corners of your siding.
- Be sure to check your windows and make sure they are sealed with caulking.
- Cracks in your foundation.
- Any other points of entry into your home.
Making sure your home is well sealed will make it extremely difficult for ants to enter. Now that you know what to seal, here are some method of sealing these possible entry points.
How to seal your home:
- Tape can be used as a way to seal some of these opening that ants may enter. It’s simple, non-hazardous, and is a common household item. We suggest double-sided tape to prevent the ants from being able to climb under your barrier. The downside to this method is that you will have to replace the tape every so often depending on how many ants try to cross.
- The best method however is to use ant repellent. To use an ant repellent, place it in an unbroken line around any potential openings. These are windows, doors, or any other entrance to your home that you can’t seal. Instead of having to worry about finding the best repellant, and having to take care of storing it, and using it properly let us spray for you. Our ant control services not only get rid of ants, but help prevent them from ever entering your house.
Another key part of preventing an ant infestation is regularly cleaning your home. If the ants don’t find food, they won’t come back.
- Don’t leave out any food as this will attract scavenging ants.
- Regularly cleaning hard surfaces such as tile floor, tables and counters can help remove the scent trail left by the ants, confusing them.
- Take out your trash regularly
- Sweeping your patio helps prevent ants.
- Check for any ant infestations in your yard or garden that could pose threats
What to do if Ants Enter Your House:
Despite your best efforts, ants may find a way into your house.If ants do manage to invade your home, ways of preventing them from becoming permanent residents still exist.
- Keep an eye out for any lone ants that you might see. These ants are like scouts for the rest of the colony. If they can be exterminated before returning home, the rest of the colony won’t be able to follow their path. If possible see if they are attracted to a dropped food, or better yet where they may be entering from.
- If the ants do find a way into your home and around your barriers, you can set out bait for them. After the ants take the bait, you can move it closer and closer to the ant nest. This way, the ants will bring the bait into the colony in greater quantities, potentially killing off the entire colony.
- If it is a huge infestation of ants, or these other ideas don’t seem to be working we recommend calling your local pest control company.
Ant prevention is important if you don’t want an ant problem. In our mind the best best control is prevention. Keep these tips in mind in your fight for your home. If all else fails, we are here to help. We here at Mantis Pest Solutions have more than thirty years of experience in helping homeowners become pest free. We are ready and willing to help you get rid of any ant problem of any size. Not only do we get rid of ants, we prevent them from coming back. We are the hassle free solution to any pest control problem you have.